Minerals and Energy Resources of Bihar: Bihar is the principal holder of country’s pyrite resources and possesses 95% of resources. Bihar has also some good resources of Bauxite in Jamui district, Cement Morter in Bhabhua, Mica in Muzaffarpur, Nawada, Jamui, Gaya and salt in Gaya and Jamui. Iron and copper ore are also produced in Bihar.
Here, we are giving the complete study material of ‘Minerals and Energy Resources of Bihar’ that will ease the journey of aspirants to crack the competitive examinations like BPSC and other state-level examinations.
Minerals and Energy Resources
- South Bihar has a greater concentration of minerals than North Bihar
- Prior to the bifurcation, Bihar was one of the leading producers of minerals.
- India is the 5th largest producer and has the 2nd largest reserves in the world.
- It is used in the Iron and Steel industry for making the alloy.
- In Bihar, it is found in Patna, Munger and Gaya.
- 3 varieties of mica are found in India – Muscovite, Phlogopite, and Biotite.
- Mica that is found in Bihar and Jharkhand is Muscovite.
- For its insulating property, it is used abundantly in the electronics industry.
- Prior to the bifurcation, Bihar was a leader in mica production.
- It is found in South-east Bihar in the districts of Nawada, Jamui, Banka, Bhagalpur, and Munger.
- In Jharkhand, it is found in Hazaribagh, Koderma, and Giridih.
- It is the sulfide of iron, chiefly used for making Sulphuric acid.
- Industries like fertiliser, petroleum, steel etc. use Sulphuric acid.
- Mainly found in the Sone valley and Vidhyan belt in Rohtas district.
- Amjhor (Rohtas) has an iron pyrite industry.
- It chiefly consists of Calcium Carbonate.
- Limestone deposits are of sedimentary origin.
- Good quality limestone is used in cement industry while low quality is used in iron and building construction industry.
- In Rohtas and Kaimur, good quality limestones are found.
- It is fibrous in nature.
- It can be used in fireproof safes, insulators, insulating mats etc.
- Asbestos cement is used in making sheets, pipes, and tiles for building purposes.
- In Bihar, it is mainly found in Munger.
- Monazite is found in Gaya and Munger.
- It is found in Munger.
- It is used in cement and power industries.
- It is found in Gaya.
- It is used in nuclear reactors.
- It is used as a moderator in the nuclear reactor.
- It is found in Gaya district.
- It is an important ore of aluminium.
- It is not a specific mineral but a rock consisting mainly of hydrated aluminium oxides.
- It is found in Rohtas district.
- It is found in Munger district.
- It is auriferous lodes and some of it is found in sands of rivers.
- It is used for making ornaments and is also used as an international currency.
- It is found along with quartz in Pegmatite rocks.
- It has applications in ceramic, glass and refractory industries.
- Feldspar is found in Munger and Bhagalpur district.
- This is obtained from a mineral named Galena.
- Lead is used in many forms and is obtained from a few places in Bhagalpur
- Availability of adequate, reliable, affordable and quality power is necessary for economic growth and to sustain that growth.
- It generates employment thus leading to the elimination of poverty and human development.
- The per capita power consumption of Bihar is 258 kWh much lower than India’s 1122 kWh.
- But still, Bihar has faced the power deficit continuously.
- Bihar State Electricity Board was set up in April 1958 under the Electricity Supply Act.
- It was mandated for the generation, transmission, and distribution in Bihar.
- Power generation in Bihar is primarily based on fossil fuels.
- But to promote renewable energy, Bihar Govt. has created an agency called Bihar Renewable Energy Development Agency (BREDA).
- Barauni Thermal Power Plant
- The only power plant under state sector.
- It is based on the oil refinery at Barauni.
- It was established in 1970 with Russian help.
- Kanti Bijli Utpadan Nigam Limited
- It is a joint venture of NTPC and Bihar State Power Generation Company Limited.
- Kosi Hydel Power Station
- Constructed on the river Kosi in Supaul
- It was commissioned in 1970.
- It was handed over to the Bihar govt. in 16th November 2003
- New Projects – Thermal
- Nabinagar Power Plant
- The project is located in Aurangabad.
- It will be a coal-based plant.
- Pirpainti Power Plant
- The project will be constructed at Bhagalpur.
- It will be constructed by NHPC.
- Kajara Power Plant
- The project will be constructed at Lakhisarai.
- It will be constructed by NTPC.
- New Projects – Hydel
- Chausa Hydel Power Plant in Buxar
- Mathauli Hydel Power Project in West Champaran
- Ultra-Mega Power Power Project will be constructed in Banka.
- Nabinagar Power Plant
More from us
Tourism Sector of Bihar–CLICK HERE
Geography of Bihar-CLICK HERE
Modern History of Bihar Part-2– CLICK HERE
Modern History of Bihar Part-1 –CLICK HERE
Medieval History of Bihar-CLICK HERE
Ancient History of Bihar Part -2 –CLICK HERE
Ancient History of Bihar Part –1 -CLICK HERE
67th BPSC SYLLABUS 2021: DOWNLOAD PRE/MAINS –CLICK HERE
To join telegram group-CLICK HERE